Prenatal tests guarantee a safe and healthy journey for you and your future baby.
Some of the screening tests you'll be offered are recommended as following these include:
- blood tests for infectious diseases
- eye screening if you have pre-existing diabetes (not gestational diabetes)
- newborn screening tests
This is because the results from these tests can help make sure that you or your baby Get urgent treatment for serious conditions.
What screening tests will I be offered in pregnancy?
Find out more about each of the different screening tests:
- screening for infectious diseases (hepatitis B, HIV and syphilis)
- screening for inherited conditions (sickle cell, thalassaemia and other haemoglobin disorders)
- screening for Down's syndrome, Edwards' syndrome and Patau's syndrome
- screening for 11 physical conditions (20-week scan)
Some screening tests will also be offered to your baby after they're born:
- newborn physical examination
- newborn hearing screening
- newborn blood spot screening